Sunday, April 4, 2010

Joel's Birth

On November 17, 2004 I realized I was about 2 weeks late. Thinking my body was 'syncing up' with other women at work I didn't think much about it. I did go to the drug store to rule out pregnancy. I went straight to the bathroom and took my test. It was positive right away. I was shocked. I couldn't believe it. I was pregnant. My life was about to change.

My pregnancy was pretty normal. I did test positive for Gestational Diabetes but was able to control my sugar levels with one shot of insulin a day. I really enjoyed being pregnant but as this was an unplanned pregnancy it was not without its fair share of stress, shock, and preparation.

As I approached 39 weeks gestation we planned my induction. I arrived at the hospital at 8:30pm on Wednesday, July 6. The got me hooked up to all the monitors and gave me a dose of cervidil and an Ambien to help me sleep. At 5:30 that morning the nurses started me on a pitocin drip. Throughout the day on Thursday they kept trying to get me to progress. I never did. That night we decided to stop all pitocin and start again later that night. They gave me dinner and I had some friends stop by for a visit. After they all left we started the cervidil again. This time they gave me double what they gave me the night before. By morning we had hoped that my body would have progressed more. No luck. They gave me more pitocin and by 8:3o am my doctor had come in to break my water. We were hoping that breaking my water would help me progress more. As they broke my water they realized that it had meconium in the water. This is concerning as we do not want the baby to swallow any of this. I started to feel contractions but did not progress. My doctor suggested to me that I have a C-section to get the baby out. Joel was then born via C-section on Thursday, July 8 at 12:10 pm.

They took Joel to the NICU immediately to check to make sure he did not swallow any meconium and also to regulate his blood sugar, due to my diabetes.

Thus began the love story between one mama bear and her precious cub.

No comments:

Post a Comment