Friday, April 9, 2010

Oh, my head

As we tried to get our lives back to 'normal', whatever that is, we expected Joel's behavior to start improving. His behaviors merely escalated to a point that we had to do something. I had been on the internet researching behavior problems in children and hadn't thought it was anything more than him adjusting to his new life as a big brother. I had been researching on 'How to make the older sibling more accepting of the baby,' transitioning from one to two, etc. It wasn't until January that I felt like something was really wrong. This is when the migraines started.

My migraines felt like someone was blowing up a balloon inside my skull and the throbbing was like the balloon pushing against the inside of my skull. I remember lying on the floor wishing and praying for either relief or death. I started taking a lot of Excedrin Migraine. Then eventually that stopped working so I doubled up on the dose. My headaches got so bad I remember driving to work and at every stop light opening the door to throw up. I went to the doctor and he urged me to stop nursing and I wasn't ready yet. It wasn't even 24 hours later that I decided that he may have been right, as I tried to nurse, I kept getting sick...this time on the baby.

That night I had been up half the night in pain and throwing up. The next morning I had my husband bring me to the ER where they could give me something. I just wanted to know why I was having such headaches. They gave me something for the pain and I eventually learned to manage the pain. I was on a regimen of taking 4 ibuprofen every six hours and 4 Tylenols in between that. I eventually got used to the throbbing and reduced the amount of medication that I needed.

All the while I kept researching ADHD, Anger and Aggression in young children, etc. I kept praying that God would guide me and show me where I needed to go to get Joel help.

No comments:

Post a Comment