Friday, April 9, 2010

Research, Research, Research

One day as I drove to work/school I was thinking about all of Joel's problems. The term high functioning autism kept entering my thoughts. I kept shaking it off. Through out my day at work it kept coming back to me. During my break at work I googled 'high functioning autism' to find out more about symptoms/diagnosing. It started to sound a little like Joel. I had started writing a journal about Joel and his days when we got back from the conference. I started looking through my journal to see if anything popped out at me.

When I got to the Medicaid office I sat and filled out my application. As I sat there I noticed someone who looked familiar. She was one of my Facebook friends but someone I hadn't spoken with face to face in at least 10 years. She came and sat with me and we talked about our kids. She mentioned some things that helped me realize that it wasn't all in my head. I felt very validated and ready to take on Joel's issues.

When I got home I started more research...trying to find something, anything to help me. I started praying and asking God to send me someone to help guide me to the help we so desperately needed to get for Joel. It was about this time that we started working with Hand in Hand and we also started Play Therapy through the Parenting Center. Our Hand in Hand Family Facilitator helped guide me through the steps I needed to take to get him help. Our Play therapist, though very nice, was not much help. We stopped going to the Therapist for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment